Pages

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Long day tomorrow... Lunch and Dinner!

Tomorrow is one of those days. We have a client in the theater from 8:00 am until 10:00 pm. No breaks. On days like this, we require client to feed the crew at least once. It usually ends up being a pizza run. Not that I'm complaining. Pizza is a great food. Pizza makes me happy. Pizza makes my stomach not so happy. So I'm going in prepared tomorrow...



I haven't decided yet what to eat for lunch and what to eat for dinner... depends on what kind of mood I'm in. And if I think I'll have time to run to the microwave right before the performance. Which I rather doubt. Which means this will end up being lunch.

I've got fresh asparagus, sauteed with salt and pepper, pork tenderloin kabob-ettes, and wild rice. On the bottom there's my new favorite sliced thin dill pickle in a cute cup, slices of sweet mini peppers, three little grape tomatoes, baby carrots, and a cup of pistachios. As always, I need to work on cutey-fying my microwave layer. Better ways to arrange it, or little cute edible things I can add to it... I dunno.



I love this box. It's big though. It feels much too big to do my regular warm and cold layers. So it usually ends up holding salad. And since I'm not on speaking terms with most leafy greens, it usually ends up holding pasta salad. Whole wheat rotini with pastrami, grape tomatoes, and sweet mini pepper slices. The little blue baseball cap in the corner (do strawberries have corners?) is a sour grape container filled with ff italian dressing.

The bottom holds a beautimous fruit salad. Pineapple, pomello, apple, orange, and strawberries. I'm quite proud of that salad. Not because it's anything special as far as fruit salads go... No. It was something else entirely.

The pineapple, for instance. I do love pineapple. Out of a can. I have seen them fresh. I have eaten them fresh. I know what they look like. And for some reason cutting up a fresh pineapple was intimidating. Maybe because they sell a gadget designed specifically for cutting it up. If they had to invent one of those, then if follows that cutting up pineapple must be difficult, yes? I learned my lesson. If I'm the one holding the knife, there's no reason to be intimidated...

The pomello was a completely new thing to me. It came in my produce co-op yesterday, as did everything else in the salad. I had to google it to see what it was. And how to peel it. It's really good! Some people were comparing it to grapefruit, but aside from the fact that they are both citrus... I don't see it. The rind is nearly 3/4 of an inch thick. And the membranes are really tough so you have to go through the fruit and peel out each section. It took me 20 minutes to do the one fruit. But the taste is worth it.

Are you all jealous of my co-op yet? This week's take included a cantaloupe, two pomellos, strawberries, apples, oranges, asparagus, tomatoes, lettuce, broccoli, cauliflower, and ... I dunno. I usually forget something. (The pineapple was last week...) I gave the lettuce to my mom. Because ew. And am trying to work my way through everything else. I still have grapefruit and lemons from last week. And tomatoes. I never know what to do with them. I need a really good recipe for tomato basil soup.

On a side note, having nothing to do with food... I drove my 1949 Dodge Coronet for the first time today. It was an experience... I had to google how to drive it. It shifts on the column, but is a mix between a manual and an automatic. I had my hands glued to the wheel and my eyes on the road, but my friend who was following me said every person we passed stopped to watch until we were out of sight. It IS a pretty cool looking car. And how often do you see a 62 year old car out on the road? I intend to get it all running nicely and purtied up so I can just drive it everywhere. After all. What's the point of having a car you aren't going to drive?

No comments:

Post a Comment