Pages

Friday, October 19, 2012

Bentos #165 and #166... Weekend away...

I spent last weekend in a small town in central Utah. I was working a gig at an events center down there. They brought me in because I know what i'm doing, and the rest of the crew was going to be college students.  I left Provo at 5am on Friday to make it to an 8am call time.  And I was there until 7pm Saturday afternoon.

I didn't want to spend a ton eating out, so I packed a cooler for the weekend... Mostly drinks, but also two Bentos!  They are exactly the same, which is fine by me, as they are made with tasty food...

I broke out the rubbermaid take-alongs for these meals. Since they were going in a cooler, I wanted a watertight seal.

I've got pasta salad... It looks like a ton, but it's 50% cucumber and tomato.  I just packed the entire bottle of Italian dressing in the cooler instead of pre-dressing it.  I find that pasta salad gets a funny after taste if left for too long.  I topped it with some bacon bits for protein.  And because bacon!

The sides are jicama with hummus (kind of an odd combination) and strawberries.

I had planned to eat one for lunch each day, but that didn't work out... My gig provided lunch on Friday. I was going to eat it for dinner instead, but on the way to the hotel I passed a diner that I just had to try... I can't resist a small town diner.  This over had everything you could want; great atmosphere, amazing food... A cranky lady who fills the water glasses...

I didn't have to be to work until 4pm the next day... I slept in, went running, and then went for a long drive through the mountains.  I had lunch on a pull-off, overlooking a valley full of sagebrush. 

I made it back to town in time for pumpkin chocolate chip cookie ice cream at the local dairy.  That ice cream alone might make it worth the drive back out there...

I ended up eating my other bento after I got home.  Yay for not having to cook after a 2.5 hour drive!


No comments:

Post a Comment