Pages

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Bento #34... and a short story involving me doing something dumb.

It snowed today. Not a whole lot. Maybe an inch. And it was wet, sticky snow.

I got off work about an hour ago. We had just had a dress rehearsal for a dance concert. It had gone well. And one of my employees and I decided to do a zombie run across the parking lot while our cars were warming up. Yeah. I am that kind of a boss.

You're probably wondering... what on earth is a zombie run? Well. If you have an android phone, you can download an app called 'Zombie, Run'. This app, using your gps, triangulates where you are, and you tell it where you want to end up. The app then generates a map of the area you are in. With zombies on it. And you run. If one of the zombies gets you, you lose. Obviously. And if you get to your destination in one piece, a nice big 'survival!' pops up.

So we ran across the parking lot twice. Giggling madly the entire way. And then we decided that it was much too cold to do it again. So we said our goodbyes and hopped into our warm vehicles.

My vehicle is a new to me. It's a 2005 Nissan Frontier. With a sunroof. I was so very amazed when I saw this truck. Not many trucks have sunroofs after all. I'm still learning things about my sunroof. This one should have been obvious.

I pulled out of the parking lot, and at the first light, decided it would be a good idea to open the sunroof. So I pushed the button. And then I looked up. Just in time to get a face full of snow. And I was too surprised to do anything about it! So I just sat there as more snow fell on my head, and then down my back, and onto my headrest... The inside of my truck was suddenly its own winter wonderland. And I just felt kind of dumb.

I spent the rest of the drive home with the window down, grabbing handfuls of snow and dropping them out onto the road. It was cold.

Anywho. Lunch! Or dinner. Or a bit of both.


First off, I would like you to take note of the pretty, frilly little lettuce leaves I dressed it up with. I have to admit... Although I'm not really a fan of green leafy things, it does add a touch of class to a bento...

Nestled snuggly in the top tier are six loverly mushroom risotto cakes. I have to admit. I made risotto just so I could make cakes. All I've heard over the past however-long-I've-been-following-bento-blogs is how good risotto cakes are for bento. Easy to eat. Really yummy. Possibly better than fresh risotto... So I decided I had to make my own. And as luck would have it, there were mushrooms in my basket last week. I do not find making risotto enjoyable. As a matter of fact, I earned a small blister for my risotto making efforts. I made it with brown rice, so it took a bit longer... Anyway. The risotto turned out lovely. I ate a small bowl of it. And the rest went into the fridge for risotto cakes. Turns out, people are right. Risotto cakes are a really good reason to make risotto. I took small spoonfuls, plopped them into a small amount of hot cooking oil for a few minutes per side. And there they are. Mushroomy, ricey, cheesy, crispy pillows of goodness.

Also in there... some fresh steamed broccoli, which seems to be the only way I'll eat it... I've tried all sorts of awesome broccoli recipes. I can't seem to handle the green stuff any way except steamed. At least I'm eating it, I guess. And in the bottom there are grapes, cantaloupe, and strawberries.

The thermos contains some of my homemade tomato basil soup. The thermos is a copco, and I'm not so sure about it. I filled it with steaming hot water while I was heating up the soup. It sat for maybe 5 minutes with the water. And I'm fairly certain I got the soup all sorts of hot, too. But when I went to eat it two hours later, it was stone cold. Why reserve judgement? I think it's supposed to sit for 10 minutes with hot water in it, but I was in a hurry. And I didn't actually test the soup temperature before I put it in. I will need a retest before I make a conclusion.

No comments:

Post a Comment