Pages

Monday, February 7, 2011

Not exactly healthy bentos...

True. One of the points of bento is the healthy aspect. But come on! I had leftover spaghetti noodles. And I refuse to pack tomato base sauces in my bentos. I don't want to ruin them with that tomatoey mark of shame. So... I made a cheese sauce. Give me a little credit... I used skim milk. ;)

These two bentos are pretty much the same. I'm going to see if I can convince my boss to eat one of them. If not, he gets a sandwich from my fridge stash and I have lunch for Tuesday as well.

The strawberry box, under that layer of cheese sauce, more cheese and turkey smokies, is about half spaghetti noodles and half California mix veggies. Everybody likes cheese on their cauliflower and broccoli, right? The bottom of the strawberry box has... wait for it... strawberries! Also a heart shaped egg, grapes in the empty places, and for desert, a pear that I sauteed in butter and then added sugar and cinnamon. It's incredibly sweet. We'll see if I actually eat it. Because I can only do so much sweet at one time. The little hearts at the bottom are apple cutouts. I had this brilliant idea this morning while I was cutting up apples to snack on that I should just precut shapes, dip them in lemon juice, and then they'll just be there when I need to cute-ify something. I don't know how well that's going to work, but I guess I'll find out.
The black box also contains cheese sauce with spaghetti and veggies, but I had this brilliant idea to put the sauce in the middle of the layer instead of on the top. I don't know why that's brilliant, but that's what I'm sticking with. And then I topped it with more sharp cheddar.

The bottom has an egg trying to masquerade as a bunny, but it didn't quite fill the mold enough to pass. There are pastrami rosettes, tomatoes, a sweet mini pepper, strawberries, grapes, and an apple teddy. I hid a tiny chocolate frog under the lid of the box for desert.



My refrigerator is overflowing with produce goodness. Oranges, apples, cantaloupes, tomatoes... so much more. Remember the co-op? I picked up again on Saturday. And I've figured out why I'm having issues eating it all. It's not that I can't do it. It's that I'm dead lazy. And when i get home at night, I don't want to work for my food. Therefore, I have decided to prep things so they are just ready to eat or put into bentos. I need to unpack my tupperware so I can keep it all separated and fresh and junk. The cantaloupe will be sliced into ready to eat cute shapes. The celery will be peanut butter ready. The tomatoes... well. Mostly I really need to find a tomato soup recipe that I like...

Here's to eating healthy on the cheap!

No comments:

Post a Comment