Pages

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Bento #87...

So.  The first and most important thing.  Lock&Lock has re-released their 45% off discount code.  So.  Type in QLTY4LESS at checkout.  And bask in the good deal.  The code works on already discounted prices, which means the bentos that are 30% off right now get way more cheap.  I might have to buy one in every color.

*****

I found another Ethnic market today.  I've been driving past this place since I was a kid.  When my mom was driving.  Today I really felt the need to find some panko so I can oven-fry some mushrooms.  The place I usually hit is closer to my parents' house.  This place... kinda looks like a dive.  It's almost impossible to park anything bigger than a sedan in the parking lot.  And there's no sign with hours and such, so I wasn't even sure they were open.

But I'm glad I went.

Mostly because they carry haw flakes.

Kinda sounds like fish food, yeah?

Haw flakes are a kind of Chinese candy made out of dried haw (which I think is some sort of stone fruit) and sugar.  The little round bundles look like fireworks.  I loved taking them to school when I was a kid.  Because fielding the "why are you opening a firework?' questions was fun.  But this is the first time I've seen them in nearly ten years!  They taste just like I remember...

*****

I haven't shown off my Bountiful Basket in a while.  I think I should do that now.  Because I was really pleased with the pile of produce today...

 - 1 head cauliflower
 - 1 bunch broccoli
 - 1 head salad savoy (YUM!)
 - 1 head romaine
 - 1 English cucumber
 - 2 organic beefsteak tomatoes
 - 1 gigantic Canary melon
 - 1 pint blackberries
 - 7 bananas
 - 3 red pears
 - Many plums
 - Many nectarines

I know, right!

I roasted about a head and a half of cauliflower (I had some left over from last week.) and I promptly ate all of it.  Every time I roast the stuff, I mean to save some for my lunch.  I think I've managed to do it once.  At least it's good for me.

*****

Dinner!


I packed this in another of my new Lock&Lock boxes.  Which I will review at some point in the future.  When I can clearly see my computer screen.

I've got brown rice hidden under meatballs, peas, and corn.  The other layer has saurkraut (under the sauce container), J-Dawgs sauce (in the container), and tomatoes with sweet pickled mini peppers, figs, plum, and pineapple.  I usually get my J-Dawgs with saurkraut and pickles.  So I was hoping that the combo would work with the meatballs.  It wasn't bad.  But it wasn't as good as it is with a giant Polish dog.

2 comments:

  1. Oh wow, I still love your creativity. Love what you did with the top tier, and the bottom tier looks so nice and organized. It's always fun to find secret stores, especially when they carry good stuff! I like visiting ethnic markets, but there are so few of those on my area... Oh, and thanks for the coupon! I'll have to head over and check those boxes. For 45% off, I am sure they're an awesome deal. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, TJ! I have to admit that since my bentos have become pre-rehearsal entertainment, I'm feeling a bit more pressure to cutify or at least organize... :)

    ReplyDelete