Pages

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Foodie Penpals Reveal!

Once upon a time, I was boredly browsing the suggested blogs on the blog reader program that lives on my phone, and I happened across a foodie blog reporting about what their foodie penpal had sent to them. 

My interest was immediately piqued.

Further research led me to the Lean Green Bean, creator of the wonderous foodie penpal program.  For which I signed up.  Because it sounded like a whole lot of fun.

And now I get to tell you what my very first penpal sent to me!


My penpal, Kattreena first emailed me to check on my likes and dislikes.  And if there were certain foods that might cause me death.  (There aren't.)  And then a week or so later, I came home from a long day's work to find this glorious package sitting on my porch!


These vegetable chips were absolutely amazing.  Green been chips!  Who knew?  I took them on my gig with me when I worked a convention in Salt Lake.  I pulled them out and the technician working beside me asked, "Bag of salad?"  To which I cleverly replied, "Yes.  Crunchy salad."  I can be a bit slow on those long days.  Anyway, I offered to share and he told me he was going to stick with his massive Dr. Pepper.


I'd never really tried snack bars such as these before. Unless you count the ones my grandpa used to keep around when I was a kid.  That tasted and felt like stiff, sugary play-dough.  I had slight trepidations when I pulled one out to eat for a breakfast on the run.  And then my perceptions were immediately changed.  It tasted great! It wasn't overpoweringly sweet.  It had a nice crunch.


These guys... oh, these guys.  I absolutely love the taste of black pepper.  I grind it into nearly everything I make.  Usually too much of it.  When I opened this bag, I vowed to not eat them all in one sitting.  ...  I think they made it through two.  They are that good. 


I love a good barbecue sauce.  People lucky enough to eat my pulled pork have also been lucky enough to try my plum barbecue sauce.  So obviously I like my barbecue sauce fruity.  And let me tell you.  I could drink this stuff.

I've been reserving the plum preserves for a special bento that will make an appearance in the near future.  I had a little taste, and they're great.  And also the bottle is a perfect bento size.  I'm thinking salad dressing container.  Or something fun like that.


And Milanos.  Only better.  Crispy cookeis with a gooey chocolate center... it doesn't get much better than that.

Thank you Kattreena for an amazing first penpal experience!

If you want to see what I sent, you can check it out at Slim Pickin's Kitchen.

The Lean Green Bean
Now, don’t you wanna join in the fun?! Here are the Foodie Penpals details:
-On the 5th of every month, you will receive your penpal pairing via email. It will be your responsibility to contact your penpal and get their mailing address and any other information you might need like allergies or dietary restrictions.
-You will have until the 15th of the month to put your box of goodies in the mail. On the last day of the month, you will post about the goodies you received from your penpal!
-The boxes are to be filled with fun foodie things, local food items or even homemade treats! The spending limit is $15. The box must also include something written. This can be anything from a note explaining what’s in the box, to a fun recipe…use your imagination!
-You are responsible for figuring out the best way to ship your items depending on their size and how fragile they are. (Don’t forget about flat rate boxes!)
-Foodie Penpals is open to blog readers as well as bloggers. If you’re a reader and you get paired with a blogger, you are to write a short guest post for your penpal to post on their blog about what you received. If two readers are paired together, neither needs to worry about writing a post for that month.
-Foodie Penplas is open to US & Canadian residents.  Please note, Canadian Residents will be paired with other Canadians only. We’ve determined things might get too slow and backed up if we’re trying to send foods through customs across the border from US to Canada and vice versa. 

No comments:

Post a Comment